via WordPress http://ift.tt/2vTSo6m
Monday, 24 July 2017
First ever triathlon with @tinmantri! Can you believe at the start of this year I was overweight and had high cholesterol…..
Yup, these are the results of my first ever triathlon. What makes this victory such a huge might exploit is that the last time I was on a bike was in 1997 and the last time I ran more than 500m was nearly 25 years ago.
The greatest blessing to me is that at the start of this year I was over weight and had a huge cholesterol problem. Praise Jesus for wisdom and strength!
What an amazing experience this was for me. I kept encouraging all the other entrants who were running or cycling around me. It was amazing to see their faces light up and you can just see their hearts changing so that they are able to just push through and finish the race with a simple word of encouragement. I was also really excited to see some of my friends from church cheering me on as I went through the transitions. That was really amazing.
I hope that this post encourages someone to not just dream but to start doing what needs to be done to achieve their dreams. Dreams are not a lotto ticket waiting to never happen. Dreams are the fuel that is supposed to drive a person do something to achieve them and keep going. God created each one of us to be more and do more than we can imagine, but it is up to us to shut up and start taking some responsibility to just get things done. We all know what we need to do but we don’t. Its amazing how many stupid things we use as excuses, in the end its only us pushing back our dreams and waiting on the fence but doing nothing.
You can do this! get off the fence and start doing reaching your dream! Don’t wait for tomorrow because that never comes! Your tomorrow starts now. Your dreams are just around the corner but you will never know unless you make that step!
You can do it!
To my wife Tracey Swanepoel, thank you for your patience my love.
To my brothers in Christ, your support fueled me through a lot.
Emil SWANEPOEL completed the Sprint at Tinman #2 in a #FinishTime of 01:25:59 Like to congratulate!
|Tinman Tri-Series – Home | Facebook
Tinman Tri-Series. 3.9K likes. TINMAN TRIATHLON: DO YOU HAVE HEART? From Triathletes-in-the-making, to the serious die-hard kind, the TINMAN Tri-…
via WordPress http://ift.tt/2eIfYQt
Thursday, 13 July 2017
It sounds like a crazy idea and what about those who may take advantage. The trouble is that we always think like that, instead of giving selflessly and trusting in the heart of people. If we had more people doing this how much less crime would there be because people can at least get some food. Imagine how more people having a giving heart would change our world.
|Man builds a food pantry on his lawn so the hungry can eat
Roman Espinoza’s lawn in Watertown, New York, has something different: a "Blessing Box" filled with food available to any and all who need it.
via WordPress http://ift.tt/2vfHzeT
Wednesday, 12 July 2017
With all the news spewing all the hate, violence, greed and many other crazy stories, it is good to see that at least one of the many kind and good things that still do take place was actually noticed a reported on.
This young girl prayers often but on this occasion she wanted to pray for these police officers, who had recently lost a fellow officer. She did not know this when she prayed for them. Sometimes we need to stop the crazy stuff and start filling our days with being the best we can not for ourselves, but for those around us because we do not know what they may be going through and our kind act could be the one thing they need to lift them up to have enough courage to get through their situation.
|Kind 8-Year-Old Prays For Police Officers: ‘We Support our Officers’
Her mom says it’s characteristic of her daughter to do so.
via WordPress http://ift.tt/2sP4iO4
Friday, 9 June 2017
Saturday, 25 February 2017
What an amazing time ballroom dancing with my wife last night for our anniversary. We even got into some Argentine Tango. Thanks Peta Dougall and Durban Dance Center. We decided to carry on dancing at home, just the two of us, it was a very awesome and special night dancing the night away. I recommend it to anyone.
via WordPress http://ift.tt/2mn3bCe
Friday, 24 February 2017
We have been together now for 27 years and married for 16 years today, and yet you are still my most beautiful and best friend and the first and last person I want to see every day. You are the sugar in my coffee, the forth on my cappuccino, basically without you life has no flavor or excitement.
I love you and look forward to spending the rest of our lives loving each other more each day.
via WordPress http://ift.tt/2l67pMA
Monday, 20 February 2017
I take my hat off to anyone who starts a renovation project in their home themselves. It is not a simple job and it is challenging. If you have not done it before there are often some hidden gems that you don’t always see on those fast simple home make over shows.
I am going to highlight some lessons learnt to hopefully help a few other people in my position.
- I mapped out to Remove my kitchen cupboards and paint them white and then place new hinges on and reverse the doors. IT looks a lot better now and at the same time I decided to remove some items we did not like. That was actually the simple part, but I did not think about how to fill in the gaps once those cupboards were out the wall.
- Painting sounds simple enough but I had to really work on some suborn hinges that got stripped and stuck in the wood as I was removing them.
- Okay, first coat of paint was okay, but I quickly realized that a sponge roller is your best friend for the finish I wanted (okay it was my wife’s idea not mine). The first paint was okay but it needed work and a second coats was clearly needed on all the doors. Fortunately I shopped around a bit and found top quality brand named paint in a generic labeled tin which was almost half the price but the same quality. So don’t just settle for what the store salesman tells you, shop around and learn what goes into a quality paint, you could save yourself a heap of cash.
- I had to remove all the tiles on our backsplash behind the sinc, and tiling was going to cost quite a bit and I did not have the tools, but I did find a single piece of galvanized metal that fitted on the wall in one go and it only cost me 1 tenth of the cost of tiling. So, look for alternatives and don’t always just accept the norm.
- There is a MASSIVE opportunity in any renovation project and that is to declutter as you renno. I removed all the cupboard contents and found some glasses and cups or things that have not been used since we moved into our house about 15 years ago. CHUCK IT OUT or SELL IT! You don’t need that stuff and you will find that you can create a simpler cleaner look when you don’t have to set up bunches of cupboards to house all the extra junk that you are never going to use.
- Make sure you check what you are sanding first. The cupboards over or near the stove had this sticky oily substance coated on them and when I used an electric sander it just clumped up and turned to rubber on the sander and just messed up the rest of the door as I was sanding. Leave these doors or cupboard to last and get some extra sand paper to deal with all that goo.
- Add in some extra time for unforeseen issues and make sure you add in a few days not just hours. I bought the hinges in batches and the second batch only arrived 3 weeks later because the hardware stores supplier changed in mid order. I was prepared to wait because they did save me quite a bit based on the same hinges at other stores, so be prepared for those unforeseen issues.
- Make sure that the area is still functional as far as possible, or you will have a very difficult time. If you cannot then plan to stay out of house for that time, it can be too much on a relationship or on kids. If however it is functional they are very forgiving and are willing stick with you because you have not compromised their environment too much.
- Before you just start going, always stop and think twice before you accidentally screw your hinges into the front of the cupboard doors instead of the back. It may force you to start all over again. Fortunately for me this was only two doors and some wood filler saved my bacon.
- Keep your colours to more neutral and simple colours that open the space up. Think as if you were renovating the home to resell it. This adds huge value to your home when you do eventually sell it and it keeps your options to deco very simple and focused on the items instead of on the walls or floors.
As I mentioned, I am no expert and these pointer are purely some things I learnt and hope they help you. When you start out make sure you know your plan and you have the full agreement with the family. This helps them to be patient with you a lot more than usual.
I hope you enjoy the before and after photos and am quite interested to hear your thoughts on the changes so please do drop me a message on my blog or even on my various social media and tell me about your thoughts or maybe even share your renno project before and after pictures.
via WordPress http://ift.tt/2kFfVag
Thursday, 19 January 2017
Your day is so busy and there are so many people and things going on and then you find an interesting article that you want to get back to but don’t know where to put it so just dump it on your desktop then you suddenly remember you have a several things to do so you need a pen and paper to make a to do list and don’t forget the bread eggs and milk and also there is a project meeting and you need to set up an agenda and task list for the team….
Stop, take a deep breathe, I have a possible solution which I have been using for years and it has helped me HUGELY. It’s called Microsoft OneNote and it is free and can be installed on ANY PC or DEVICE, it even runs on the web. I use it to manage family chores, daily life as well as handling project communications and project notes or documentation. Agendas and meeting notes are a breeze, and what makes this even better is my wife has access to view the family notebook and checklist what I need to get for groceries. The project team has access to the projects notebook which shows the tasks list which is linked to Outlook tasks assigned to them an there is an agenda for each of the meetings. The whole thing lives in the cloud and have page version which I can review if need be. I can set up a new page when I am doing research and just “clip” or “dump” the whole entire web page or email I just found onto a page which I can read later on my phone when I can. I can record voice messages on these pages as well as dump images and the system allows me to use OCR to get the text off those business cards I often get from people. It’s a great way to organise all the people I meet and helps me to have place to remember where they are from.
Here are a few links from Business daily use all the way to Students and for your home life. Finally, one place where all these things can be organised and managed and shared or not shared which whoever I choose.
I STRONGLY recommend taking the time to go over these articles. If you want to be quick, start with 3,4,5,6 and then get into 1 when you have a little more time because this tool can do a HUGE amount of very cool stuff. Don’t forget you can collaborate these with people and it can be installed on any phone, tablet, pc, laptop or phablet.
1. Detailed list of what OneNote can do http://ift.tt/1fGBpYC
|This is why OneNote is awesome
This post shows you why Microsoft OneNote is awesome and shows you some of the hidden features you didn’t know about.
2. How to use OneNote in a classroom with students (maybe a project team) http://ift.tt/1BM4ZuB
3. How to remain organized in business using OneNote http://ift.tt/1MweUT5
4. How OneNote helps us to organize the day http://ift.tt/1EOOlIU
5. 10 Tips that make OneNote more useful in everyday life http://ift.tt/1I4z0qE
6. The Family edition (can be used for teams) of how to organize your family http://ift.tt/2jAOKMn
7. The official site https://www.onenote.com
I hope that your 2017 is organised and victorious.
via WordPress http://ift.tt/2jASWvD
Wednesday, 23 November 2016
Often times we hear about AI. We often also imagine the Terminator movies or have people who say both yay and boo to the idea of AI in computers. The truth is we don’t know what AI is and we have no idea of how it will look or even work in our lives.
Enter @Google AI amongst many others. @Google created an AI Translation team of computers that were given the task of translating between languages and each other. The results were exactly as expected until they discovered something that they could not explain. The computers started creating their own more efficient language and communicating with each other in this new language. This new language and communication is a mystery to the team.
So lets go back to the start and ask again are we interested in AI? The question that should be asked now appears to have changed because we can now see the reality of the AI at work. But do we want these computers making decision and communicating with each other on their own? Now this changes things doesn’t it?
|Google’s AI translation tool seems to have invented its own secret internal language
Based on how various sentences are related to one another in the memory space of the neural network, Google’s language and AI boffins think that it has.
via WordPress http://ift.tt/2gl3b35
Tuesday, 22 November 2016
Wednesday, 9 November 2016
What an awesome thing to happen right here in our city. This is going to bring some serious economic enhancements and development to our city. I love this city.
via WordPress https://emilswanepoel.wordpress.com/2016/11/09/ilovedurban-r50-billion-city-investment-into-durban/
Saturday, 5 November 2016
Tuesday, 1 November 2016
This is for all those who attended my talk at #SPSDBN this weekend about creating reports and dashboards without spending more money. The file is on my OneDrive and is around 44MB so take the throttle off your data lines and download a copy for yourself. Please note that the late slide does have sound.
If you do have any question please feel free to contact me as well.
|SP Saturday 2016.ppsx
Microsoft PowerPoint Presentation
via WordPress http://ift.tt/2dXZRNh
Monday, 31 October 2016
This incredible article shows that Durban is not just a place of sun and surf but of flavor and style that is almost unique from around the world.
|Taking the tastes of SA far and wide | IOL
Masterchef Australia judge George Calombaris is full of praise for local chefs. [VIDEO]
via WordPress http://ift.tt/2e4C75q
Saturday, 29 October 2016
#SPSDBN Today was the first time I have spoken at this event and the people seemed to like the topic and enjoyed our time together.
My topic was about creating reports and dashboards without spending more money. The main thread in the message however was more about gaining control over your company data to bring order in a world of Excel copy paste.
After my presentation I had hidden away some gift vouchers under selected chairs and asked everyone to check if they were a winner. These four were the winners, well done.
#SPSDBN @alistairpugin @bradgcoza
Thanks for this great event and the opportunity to present.
via WordPress http://ift.tt/2dRz6tP
Monday, 24 October 2016
In the midst of #feesmustfall violence one student is being bold to share love rather than fear, hate and racism…
This guy stands alone with a blindfold on to offer hugs to students just to show that love really does not know colour or agendas. He only wanted to share a hug with whoever wanted to. the reactions and responses are amazing. I want to give a huge shout out to the boldness and to the courage this guy has showed and hope that this video break the internet. Its time to stop giving fear a platform on social media and start sharing about all those millions of people in the world who do these little things that actually show compassion. We need to start sharing more of these stories and these people in social media because they are the ones who are making a change in our daily lives with love and compassion. Well done.
via WordPress http://ift.tt/2e2IzuI